Department of English Scholarships
Students wishing to be considered for undergraduate scholarships from the Department of English, regardless of their major, must apply to this scholarship opportunity.
- Supplemental Questions
- The application deadline for Department of English undergraduate scholarships is February 19, 2019. More information on department scholarships can be found at https://www.engl.iastate.edu/undergraduate-students/awards-scholarships/.
Upload a copy of your degree audit if you are a current ISU student, or an unofficial copy of your transcript if you are an incoming highschool or transfer student.
- Please provide information on how a scholarship from your department will benefit you.
- Students who wish to be considered for the Will C. Jumper Scholarship
for creative writing must upload a portfolio of poetry, including 4-6 samples.
- If you wish to be considered for the Albert L. Walker Excellence in English
recognizing students with a love of literature, provide a 500 word expository essay regarding what you have found to be interesting or satisfying about your study of literature.
- If you wish to be considered for the Kurt Moody Creative Writing Award
upload your creative writing portfolio of up to 25 pages that is restricted to any one of the following genres or combination of them: fiction writing, screenwriting, playwriting.
- If you are a current ISU or incoming transfer student and wish to be considered for the Dr. Pearl Hogrefe Creative Writing Scholarship
upload samples of your writing that demonstrate your ability in creative writing. This should include one or two short stories or a collection of poems, screenplay, play excerpt, or nonfiction essay. Word total for all documents combined should not exceed 5000 (sophomores), 6000 (juniors), 7000 (seniors).
- If you wish to be considered for the Dr. Pearl Hogrefe Creative Writing Scholarships
you must also provide the name and email address of an instructor or faculty member who can write a reference, if requested, regarding your ability and commitment to study in your chosen area of study. Please speak to your reference about this request.
- Students wishing to be considered for the Critical Writing Award
should upload any single piece of critical exposition originally written for an English course at Iowa State University (including course papers submitted during the current academic year). Submissions must be freshly typed, double-spaced, and no longer than 30 pages with a recommended length of 6–15 pages.
- Students in the Linguistics program who wish to be considered for the Quentin Johnson Award
and the Cross-Disciplinary Linguistics Scholarship
should submit two essays as follows:
Provide a 2-3 page essay describing your interest in and goals for your student of linguistics, including and specific experience that is related to your study of linguistics and the role your linguistics work is likely to play in your career.
- The second requested essay for students in the Linguistics
program is an expository essay written for an ISU linguistics course.
- Show 5 more