Department of Sociology - Current ISU Students (CJ ST, SOC and AG SO)
Students wishing to be considered for scholarships from the Department of Sociology (CJ ST, SOC and AG SO) should apply to this opportunity. More information on the scholarships offered can be found at https://soc.iastate.edu/scholarships/. Students are encouraged to review the criteria at this site before completing the Department of Sociology questions.
- Supplemental Questions
- You will find more information about all sociology scholarships at https://soc.iastate.edu/scholarships/ so that you can tailor your responses below to the specific requirements of the scholarship(s) you are interested in. Application deadline for Department of Sociology Scholarships is March 2, 2020.
What is your cumulative GPA in the courses you have completed for your major?
- Describe how your past activities demonstrate your leadership, scholarship, service, reaching out to others, and volunteerism as it relates to your major. (500 word maximum)
- If you have an interest in rural development and/or agriculture, describe how receiving an award would enhance your related career goals and professional interests. (500 word maximum)
- If you have an interest in social justice, describe projects you have worked on and your motivation to be involved in those efforts, giving examples of how broad goals of social justice were addressed. i.e. reducing economic inequality, improving human rights, promoting diversity and inclusion, or working to end violence, racism and discrimination. Describe your plans to continue your social justice work, especially in relation to your future professional goals.(500 word maximum)
- If you wish to be considered for the Robert O. Richards Memorial Writing Award, please upload a pdf of one paper that best exemplifies your quality of writing and soundness of sociological theory.
- If you wish to be considered for the George Freeman Memorial Scholarship and will be a junior or senior majoring or minoring within any discipline of sociology, have completed 12 credit hours in sociology, have an average GPA of at least 3.0, and have not received this award before, please provide a statement indicating how you have demonstrated, through personal actions, a desire to facilitate the integration of students of color and/or international students into the department, university, and/or community.(500 word maximum)
- If you are an Iowa resident majoring in criminal justice; have completed more than 60 credits; do not plan to attend law school; in the phase of your education of completing an internship this past summer, fall or upcoming spring in the area of community-based corrections and youth programs; and wish to be considered for the Donald and Janet Payer Award in Criminal Justice, provide a description of the agency and your internship including the name and address of the agency. Please also confirm that you do not plan to attend law school.(500 word maximum)
- Optional Reference
If you are a current student in the ISU Department of Sociology with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 and wish to be considered for the Sadie Gardine Lasley Memorial Scholarship recognizing students who demonstrate community involvement and an ability to reach out to others, provide the name and email of a person from a community organization that can provide a reference for you. Please speak with your community organization reference regarding this request.
- Show 3 more